Wednesday, April 9, 2014

God's Peaceful Presence in the Storm - Encouragement Card

Years ago my husband and I stood on Rialto Beach in the state of Washington, looking west, waiting for the sunset. Many people were gathered there. We walked among the driftwood taking photos of the sea stacks and the waves crashing against them. I was astounded and mesmerized by the power of the sea. Living in the middle of the U.S., thousands of miles away from any ocean, I have always been attracted to the beauty of the sea. I drink it in, soaking up the scene and its memories, so that I can hide them in my being and carry them away to last forever. The sea is both destructive and life giving. We stood on the shore in a place of peace, but if we'd been a few yards farther into the sea, we would have been in a fight for life as the waves came crashing in. I stand in awe of the power of the sea and, even more, of the One who could create such an amazing force. Here is a photo from Rialto Beach from my hubby's blog.


That may be why I was so attracted to this stamp set from Our Daily Bread Designs. I decided to try making several cards with this stamp set, but this first one is my favorite. It reminds me of Rialto Beach at sunset. Even more, I love this sentiment: "Sometimes the Lord rides out the storm with us . . other times He calms the restless sea around us. by Lloyd John Ogilvie." The analogy between storms at sea and storms in life reminds me of the night the disciples were rowing a boat while Christ was sleeping in the boat. They cried out for Him to help and He rebuked the wind and the waves, making the sea calm.

  I used a cuttlebug embossing folder that embossed the top and bottom of this panel. The CTMH paper I used is from the Sarita paper pack. I tied the image panel with hemp baker's twine and added blue epoxy bubbles that remind me of sea glass in the recesses of my corners punched with a circle punch. The stamp is a single image from ODBD called "The Sea."  The sentiment is from their "Anchor Set."  I colored the sea and sand with Copics and used sponge daubers and CTMH inks to make the sky.

I tried coloring this next one like daytime, but still preferred the sunset appearance of the first card. This one was stamped with light grey ink while the one above was stamped with black.


The last version was left Twilight blue and uncolored.  I stamped the sentiment twice so I could cut out the two important word phrases that emphasize what the Lord does for us when we are struggling with the storms of life.


I pray that you would see the hand of God in your life as He calms the storms in your life or helps you feel His presence and His peace, helping and sustaining you when troubles arise.

I'm sharing this card with the following challenges:
Everybody Art Challenge #273 - punched corners (I used a circle punch.)
Just Inspirational Challenge - Embossing
Love to Scrap #27 - anything goes
Our Daily Bread Designs Shining the Light Challenge #197 - Rain or Water
Path of Positivity #13 - Peace
Through the Classroom Door - always anything goes
Word Art Wednesday #127 - anything goes with positive message


16 comments:

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, my, Vickie, each of these cards is beautiful! I love each one in a different way, and you have truly made three fabulous ones with this one sea image! I love them! And I also love the thoughts you've expressed about the power of God and love the sentiment about how God sometimes calms the storm but at other times rides through it WITH us! Praise God for His always being there for us! So glad to see you again this week for the ODBD Shining the Light challenge, precious friend! Hugs!

Anne Fenton said...

I love all the versions of your card, they are lovely. Thank you for joining TTCRD this week.

Anonymous said...

I have this stamp and love it also. Your cards are fantastic! I love the way you did the rocks in that first card-they look real. Wonderful job! God does amazing things! I love the sentiment that you used also. Thanks for joining us at Love to Scrap.

Unknown said...

Beautiful and comforting sentiment. Very unique cards. Thanks so much for sharing at Just Inspirational Challenges! - Melissa DT

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Wow Vickie!! Look at all these gorgeous cards with the ocean scene. Each design is so creative and beautiful!! I love your coloring of the sea with the white caps. These images sure do show the magnificence of God and His power over all of creation. What a comfort to know He is in control and our comfort. Thanks for sharing all these gorgeous creations with us at the ODBD Shining the light challenge!!

Linda Carson said...

Beautiful x 3! Wow Vickie you've been busy creating such powerful and encouraging artwork! Love how you colored each one and especially the sky! Excellent, excellent! Thanks for creating with us this week at ODBD!

Pat said...

Beautiful cards, all of them! That image is so peaceful, which is perfect for the path of Positivity challenge this month. Thanks for playing!

Monica taylor said...

The stamp is wonderful and I really enjoyed your write up. Perfect cards for our "Peace" challenge over at Path of Positivity. Thanks for sharing this month. Monica, DT

Desire Fourie said...

Vickie this is such a beautiful creation speaking to the inner peace in ourselves. This is so perfect for our PEACE theme this month. Thanks for sharing your talent with us and good luck.
Hugs
Desíre
{Path of Positivity DT Member}
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Alrik said...

It´s a beautiful card.

Alshandra said...

Awesome cards Vickie and I love your story about the ocean :-) I live just about a stone's throw away from the ocean and I think sometimes I take it for granted. It is wonderful to sit back and actually "take in" God's creation! Thanks for the reminder! Love all 3 of your cards! Love the designs/layout of each of them and love how you've coloured each one. Thanks for joining us in the ODBD Shining the Light challenge. Elizabeth

Jo Ann said...

All of these cards are gorgeous. Love the lay-out, scenes and sentiments. Fabulous work! Thanks for blessing us with your wonderful artwork at Word Art Wednesday. Have a nice day and sharing with you God's Word in 1 Corinthians 6:14, " By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also." Hugs always!

JO ANN

Donna Ellis said...

Wow, this is so gorgeous, Vickie - I can feel the salt spray on my face, and the wind as it blows my hair, and hear the gulls... a real beauty, and so peaceful and serene! hugs, de

Sarah said...

Your cards are all so gorgeous but I would have to say the last one really captures the sense of peace, at least for me. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

Inkyfingers said...

I saw this on the POP blog and I was so impressed to see that you have 3 versions of the same image! Each one is lovely and has a special feel to it. Makes me need to go to the ocean soon!
Hugs
Carol x

Path of Positivity said...

Goodness Vickie, that photograph almost looks like a painting! Isn't it incredible, how something that can cause so much destruction when at its most turbulent, can also exude such a sense of peace in calmer times? I too am mesmerized by the sea and also by your beautiful card which does a lovely job of capturing both power and peace.

Thank you so much for joining us this month over on the Path of Positivity. May you always experience the incredible feeling that peace has to offer in your life.

Regards,
Lisa D.,
Owner