Thursday, July 4, 2013

Load of Birthday Blessings Masculine Card

I live on a farm near Kansas City, Missouri. This year God has blessed us with enough rain that we are no longer in a serious drought like we were last year. It's wonderful to drive past fields flourishing with corn, soybeans, or grasses ready to be cut for hay.

I made this masculine birthday card that's perfect for our area farmers.  I used one of the newer digi stamps from Clearly Digi Stamps. The set is called "Construction" and has some "punny" sentiments. The images are great for masculine cards. Since I needed a birthday sentiment, I concocted and printed my own using Word. I used a play on words using the idea of the front-end loader and a load of blessings. You are welcome to save and use my sentiment jpg if desired. Just click on it to get the larger version, then right click and do a save as. When you're ready to print you can resize it to 2" or the desired size. I simply drew a cloud shape around mine with a Copic marker before cutting it out.



I chose this week's sketch from Feeling Sketchy so that I could use some masculine papers from CTMH several years ago.

 
I used the pre-colored loader for a fast card and mounted it on brown striped paper that I hoped looked like a plowed field. I added the blue strip for sky, but sanded it so that it mildly resembled light clouds. That's what I love about Close To My Heart papers - they have a white core that can show through with distressing. I used the Cricut Art Philosophy cartridge to cut the 4.5" circle for the background.
 
 
To add to the masculine feel, I used brown hemp, corrugated bracket and CTMH metallic durables.

I'm sharing this card with the following challenges:

Craftin Desert Diva's Linky Party - On the Farm
Crafts 4 Eternity #130 - Heavy Metal (CTMH Durables)
Daring Cardmakers - Forgotten Treasures (Masculine CTMH "Sarsparilla" paper I bought summer 2008 and filed it away for future masculine layouts. It's time to use it!)
Feeling Sketchy #64 - sketch
The Crafty Blogger's Network Challenge #13 - Metal (CTMH Durables)

17 comments:

michele said...

Fabulous card! thanks for joining us at Crafts 4 Eternity this week hugs Michele x

DebR said...

This is totally adorable...awesome job.
Thanks for joining us at Feeling Sketchy.

Zella said...

Great sketch and all your different patterns/textures - love it!!

Joey said...

Fantastic! Thanks for playing along with week with us at Feeling Sketchy

Unknown said...

Great card! Love all the layers and detail. Thank you so much for joining us at Craftin Desert Divas “On The Farm“ Linky Party. New Linky Party
starts Monday hope you will join us again!!

Tara
Craftin Desert Diva's

Unknown said...

Great masculine card love the tractor, great use of brads.Thanks for joining us at Crafty Bloggers network with our Metal Magic challenge Hugs Tania xx (DT)

Granmargaret said...

This is a great male card. Thank you for joining us at Feeling Sketchy.

Cards by Sharyn said...

What a great card for a man on the land. Thanks for joining us at Feeling Sketchy.

DebiJ said...

What a tremendous card here Vickie! Love your sentiment & that great dozer!
Thank you for playing along at Feeling Sketchy with us.

Miradormakings said...

oooh i really like this male card. Thank your for joining us at Crafty Bloggers Network Challenge.

Joan x

Julene Matthews said...

This looks so appropriate. Thanks for joining us at Feeling Sketchy.

Michelle said...

Love this, especially the way you 'popped up' the digger - thanks for joining us over at The Crafty Bloggers Network.

Cindy Groh said...

This card is perfect for a guy. May I post a link back to your card on my Manly Monday blog post? It's a weekly post of masculine cards to inspire my readers. Reply back to this post so I know which card is yours and I hope to hear from you and can post it this Monday. Thanks
Cindy

Naomi said...

Great masculine card Vickie. Thanks for playing with us at Feeling Sketchy :)

Vickie ODell said...

Yes, Cindy, that would be OK if you link it back to my original. I'm so glad you liked it!

CraftyKay said...

I do like your combination of matting and layering papers and colours. Nice card. thank you for joining in the Crafty Bloggers Network Chqllenge and good luck.

Kayx

CBN DT

Dani art 4 U said...

Great use of the sketch, thanks for playing at Feeling Sketchy xo