Friday, May 3, 2013

Hymn and Scripture Challenge - My Faith Looks Up to Thee

Today I'm posting another one of my 9" x 9" pages for my Hymn and Faith Journaling album. I'm making this album as way of sharing with my children and grandchildren who I've been, who I am and what I believe. Music has always been a big part of my life, both externally with groups and internally, in my heart and mind. This hymn is one that Patter suggested this year. She has a devotional on her blog which focuses on verse three, when life's circumstances become dark and full of grief. One of her daughters has a serious illness, so she was especially comforted by this hymn at this time. You can find her post here at Triple the Scraps which includes copies of the hymn if you'd like to join her challenge.


Unlike Patter, I like the entire hymn to show. I copied the hymn from a vintage hymnal and matted it with the black cardstock and pop dotted the edges to make a large pocket, with a tag that has plenty of room for journaling. I used a concordance to study the word "faith" and chose a simple verse that is the beginning of faith, Romans 10:17: "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God." When I was in college I became too busy and distracted to read God's Word each day. Even though I was in church every Sunday, I don't think I took God's Word into my heart and mind the way I should have. When I was in my twenties I finally realized I wanted to be "wholly thine" like it says in the first verse. I wanted Him to lead me through the difficulties of life. I recommitted my life to Him and made a habit of reading through the Bible each morning before leaving for work as a teacher. That's when I began to see how He was helping me through the situations I faced each day. I can also identify with the words "my zeal inspire" because I wanted to know Him more, pray more, encourage others more, and eventually went into full time Christian service.

Many of my pages in this journal use this retired CTMH 9" x 9" printed cardstock that has a pattern on each side. This is the back side of a different layout, so I added a Glitz 8" x 8" patterned paper on top.I cut the Spellbinders label twice, in black and white. I trimmed the white one down, following the embossed lines, and used it for the verse. I mounted it on a red patterned paper from MME. The black and red ribbons, butterflies, gray sparkles, and large flower are all CTMH. I used a foliage die from Spellbinders to make the leaf.

I hope something on this post or Patter's has blessed you. If so, please consider making your own layout to bless others.

I'm sharing this layout with the following challenges:
As You Like It #1 - favorite die or punch (the Spellbinders label)
Crafty Catz - Inspired by a Song
Crafty Ribbons - anything goes with ribbon
Hymn and Scripture Challenge 13
Mema's Crafts May Challenge - anything goes with optional flowers/Mother's Day
Sisterhood of Crafters - Free for all
Word Art Wednesday #78 - anything goes with scripture or encouraging verse
 

7 comments:

Karen Letchworth said...

I just love how you implement music and scripture, and this is SO pretty. Thanks for sharing with us in our challenge this week.
Blessings to you,
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Annette said...

You're right that is a lovely label die. Love the musical theme.
Thank you so much for joining in with our first challenge.
Annette
My blog : Netty's Cards
Proud to design for As You Like It Challenge.
xx

Mema's Crafts said...

I love how you combined music and scripture and adding your handwriting added the uniqueness to this card. Very nice. Thanks for sharing your talent and playing with us at Mema's Crafts. Good Luck in the challenge.

Unknown said...

Vickie,
I just sang through the hymn. Some of those oldies should not ever have been retired by so many churches. Anyway, the page is quite beautiful. The faded rose on the corner is so beautiful and makes me think of the Rose of Sharon.
Romans 10:17 handwritten is helps make the point.
We love seeing what you have created and posted with us this week.
God Bless you,
Carole Robb Bisson
Word Art Wednesday

Darlene said...

Just beautiful Vickie! Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood ‘Free For All (anything goes)’ challenge and please come back again soon!
Darlene
one of the 'Sistahs'
The Sisterhood of Crafters
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

PaperDaisies said...

Great song choice. You have made a beautiful card. Thank you for joining us over at Crafty Catz. Hugs Nina

Unknown said...

fabulous card this week thanks for sharing it with us at CRAFY CATZ well done hugs sassyxxxx